Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Red Mill Burgers

Red Mill Burgers -- Greenwood/Phinney Hill

Price -- Middle of the Road
Parking -- Minimal (about a dozen spaces shared with starbucks)
Style -- Burgers
Seating -- Several booths and some bar stools
Speed -- "Quick" food
Review time of day -- 3pm
Reservations -- not needed
Rating -- 3/5

   Since it is National Cheeseburger Day, what better restaurant to start with than a burger joint. Finding Red Mill Burgers is pretty easy, it is right where Greenwood/Phinney bend and meet. I went there during the afternoon, and found several parking spaces open. I went in planning to get myself a nice burger, fries, and a shake. Too bad they don't accept Credit Cards there. What kind of restaurant these days doesn't take credit cards? They lost a point with me just for that reason alone. They could at least put a sign on the register says, "we don't take Credit cards". I'm not going to leave and run to the bank to get cash, just for some fast food. So, I ended up just buying a bacon double cheeseburger and skipped the fries and shake.
   I've read that their fries and onion rings are great because they are fried in peanut oil. The fries I saw coming out didn't look crispy and actually looked a little greasy, usually a sign of fries cooked with the oil temp too low. People told me their burgers were the best in the city. I can see if you are used to only eating at Mcdonalds that the burgers would surprise you, but they didn't seem more special than a burger you would get at a restaurant like Red Robin.
   When I went in the afternoon, the place wasn't busy at all. I was able to order as soon as I walked in the door. It took ~10-15min to get my order, plenty of time to read the signs that say "If you haven't heard your name, then your order isn't read yet. Don't ask. -The Chef" or "No Cellphones". I choose to think these are meant to be campy and not grumpy.
   They do put a special "Mill sauce" on the burgers that gives them some spicy flavor. But if you don't like spicy, then stay away from the sauce it does have a little kick. They did use leaf lettuce and the tomatoes were fresh and not slimy. And bacon was generously applied to my burger and there was cheese put on both patties. Overall for $6.22 it was filling and tasted good. It would have been >$11 for the burger/fries/shake.

The Good: Big burgers, spicy sauce
The Bad: No credit cards, price is a little high

Red Mill Burgers (Phinney Ridge) in Seattle

No comments: